Harbour House Mission Statement
The South Shore Transition House Association’s (Harbour House) mission is to
- Empower women
- Offer safety, comfort and hope
- Support and educate the community
- Promote equality on the South Shore
Harbour House Principles and Aims
The South Shore Transition House Association (Harbour House) accepts the following principles:
- It is a basic human right to live without fear of physical, sexual and emotional abuse. (The majority of those abused are women.)
- Woman battering is an assault, and assault is a criminal offence.
- It is everyone’s right to receive protection under the law, regardless of the relationship of the parties involved or where the offence occurred.
- Abused women are not the cause of the abuse, but they are trapped within abusive situations; they live in a society that does not clearly say that abusive behaviour is not acceptable in any circumstance.
The South Shore Transition House Association aims to:
- Provide, operate and maintain safe temporary housing for women who are victims of abuse, and for their children.
- Provide security, support and counselling to women who have been victims of abuse and to help them become self-sufficient.
- Liaison with all relevant community and professional services.